Sunday, July 17, 2005

A Sabbath Rest

What do you think of when you think of Sundays?

Some of you, I gather, get dressed and go to church. Some of you don't. Some of you may have jobs that you have to go to. Some may relish the chance to sleep in and not have to get up to an alarm clock. Some of my writer friends don't do any work at all on Sundays - it's completely a family day.

You can tell where I'm at right now. Yes, I'm on the computer - working a little. I won't stay here all day, but my kids are napping, my hubby's reading the paper and I had some housekeeping stuff that I thought I'd try to get finished. But even as I try to justify in my thoughts why I should capture these few minutes I know that's not what God had in mind when God called us to rest from our work.

I can find a hundred things to occupy my hands...and thoughts. And for me, that's the labor I really need to find rest from. To find those quiet moments to allow God to speak to me. I certainly won't be able to hear Him if I'm running around too busy to stay still and stay quiet.

Thou shalt not murder. Check. Thou shalt not steal. Check. Thou shalt not commit adultery. Check. Remember the Sabbath day by keeping it holy. Ouch.

It's one of those commandments we could skip right over. For example, I had no intention of writing about the Sabbath when I began, but suddenly, as I sit here and type, I know that I shouldn't spend my afternoon sorting e-mail. That can be left for another day. Today is supposed to belong to Him.

And somehow, I know He knows best.

No comments: