Sunday, August 07, 2005

Shedding a Light on School

As I mentioned in my last post, I've started going back to school to get my Master's in writing for children.

It's funny. When I arrived on campus for my first 10-day residency, I felt like I was in high school again. It was a whole new social group, and at a secular university. Being a Christian author, and at times one with pretty bold material, even for the Christian market, I wasn't sure what to expect. I knew going in that I wanted to be a good example, but I also felt myself preparing for the worst. I wondered how people might react we workshoped my first creative piece, about a girl who's sold out to her faith.

Ironically, I didn't get the reaction I had prepared for.

While the school is full of students who proudly call themselves liberals, and proudly push their own edgy material and lifestyles, I didn't get any negative reactions. None.

Instead, I found that many of the students found themselves confiding in me, knowing that I was a Christian, and inherently trusting me.

I guess it just goes to show that, as Jesus said, "You're here to be light, bringing out the God-colors in the world. God is not a secret to be kept. We're going public with this, as public as a city on a hill." (Matthew 5:14, MSG)

Hopefully, as we each shine our light together, even in little ways, the world will warm to the message of the gospel...even when we least expect it.

No comments: