Monday, October 17, 2005

Speaking up


No matter what your age we all face difficulties in life and it seems like the enemy's first tactic is often to make us feel alone in the midst of that difficulty.

I called a friend tonight and shared about a problem I was having and after I got off the phone I felt so relieved.

She had prayed for me, yes, but even more than that, I felt like I wasn't alone in it anymore. Someone else would be praying for me and was willing to be an advocate for me. What a relief that was!

In my first novel, The Masquerade, Beka had the same problem. She felt like she couldn't talk about what was really bothering her. That made her feel more and more isolated until finally she was ready to give up on everything. That's no way to live.

God is always with us - He will never leave us, never forsake us. But God also knows that there are times when we need to speak up and ask for help. To talk with someone and share your burden. We were never meant to be spiritual lone rangers, out there fighting all by ourselves. My writing tends to isolate me anyway and if I don't make a conscious effort to reach out, well, I can almost forget that there are others out there who really care.

We need to pray about the things in our heart, but for some of you, maybe it's time to reach out and talk to someone. Remember, you are not alone.

No comments: