Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Chaos

I bumped into a friend at church on Sunday. She said she had been struggling with depression and feeling her life was a swirling mass of darkness. I can relate to that. I suffer from depression from time to time. I take a pill for it, in fact, because it is due to a chemical imbalance.
Logic doesn't help much when you feel stuck in a black hole.
I gave her a verse that helped me in one of my dark times.
Genesis 1:2 "And the earth was formless and void, and darkness was over the surface of the deep; and the Spirit of God was moving over the surface of the waters."
When I first read that and applied it to my distress, I literally felt like God had just tapped me on the shoulder and whispered in my ear. My life, emotions, my very being felt formless and without purpose. Darkness surely covered my deepest being. But in that moment I saw that God had not deserted me. In fact, He hovered over my surface, and He was about to do a mighty work.
If you feel depressed, don't feel that you are a bad person without hope. Seek help. There might be a medical reason for your depression. Also, seek God. He is so close, even if you can't clearly see Him. And He is about to do a mighty work in your life.

No comments: