Thursday, January 12, 2006

Winter Blues


I happen to live in a part of the country where we have four seasons a year, but there are time I wish it could be spring all year long.

I know it's weird to be talking about spring in the beginning of January, but hang in there with me:-) We've had bizzare weather here lately. Usually January is cold but today is the second day this month we've had sixty degree weather. It's beautiful and just looking outside makes me smile. It's like a glimpse of spring. I realize that we still have to get through a lot of winter, February tends to be our coldest month. But days like this make me long for that warm weather.

We go through spiritual seasons as well. And just like the winter, there can be spells where it just feels like life is on hold and God's voice seems fainter, or even silent. We all go through them. But then out of the blue, we will get a glimpse, a reminder that God is still there and that this season will come to an end.

"Arise my darling, my beautiful one, and come with me. See! The winter is past; the rains are over and gone. Flowers appear on the Earth; the season of singing has come." (Song of Songs 2:10b-12a)

I feel like I've been in one of those drier, lonelier times, but in my heart, I know it's a season God has me in. He has me here because He wants to teach me something that I couldn't learn anywhere else. It doesn't mean we just give up. On the contrary, we keep pressing in, we keep seeking after God - even when everything is quiet. We keep believing that spring is right around the corner. It's just a matter of time.

If you feel that winter on your soul, may God sustain and keep you during this time and my He restore to you the joy of your salvation and speak to you in your innermost heart. May God's face shine upon you and give a "glimpse of spring".

No comments: