Friday, April 14, 2006

What's So Good about Good Friday?


“I want to remind you of the gospel I preached to you....that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, that he was buried, [and] that he was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures.” 1 Corinthians 15:1,3-4 (NIV)

Today, people all around the world are celebrating Good Friday. Businesses are closed and, in some cases, school is out. Yet, when I was younger I used to wonder what was so "Good" about it. I mean Jesus died a horrible death . . . are we supposed to celebrate that?

As I grew older, I came to realize that the "good" part of Good Friday is what I received out of the deal.

Before I accepted Christ at age seventeen, I was empty, lonely, and fearful. I was pregnant and alone. I had no hope for the future.

Today, I have family, friends, and a writing career, but even more than that--I have Christ. He fills me with joy, guides my steps, and strengthens me to live in this confusing world. He has given me hope.

What about you? Have you taken time to think about your life and where you're headed? Good Friday is a great time to ponder this. Because what happened on this day thousands of years ago can profoundly impact your life too.

No comments: