Saturday, July 08, 2006

Eye Has Not Seen


For those who love Him, God has prepared things which eye has not seen and ear has not heard, and which have not entered the heart of man. (I Corinthians 2:9) In other words, we can't imagine it.

I've been reading in Revelation lately, and it boggles my mind. I'm a very visual reader, so whatever I'm reading plays out like a movie in my head. But I can't do that with Revelation. God showed John scenes from heaven, and he simply couldn't wrap human words around them. He came as close as he could, but what he wrote defies imagination.

This might bother some people, but it excites me. I don't want God to fit into the confines of my world. My world is broken and limited and falling apart. I live in it like a caged bird in a windowless room. I believe there's a sky. I've heard about its endless depths of blue and that some day I'll soar there with nothing to shackle me. I sing of it even now as bars of flesh keep me caged. I sing by faith, because I believe the One who told me about the sky. And I trust Him. After all, if He didn't intend to set me free, why would He have given me wings?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

God is pretty awesome.
But, did I see this picture on a Jones Soda bottle? Pretty sure I have a bottle of Jones with that picture.

Jeanne Damoff said...

Hi, Samantha.

You may have seen this on Jones Soda. I googled "birds flying" images and selected it.

My son used to collect Jones Soda bottles. He's a senior in college now, but the bottles still line a bookshelf in his old bedroom and a windowsill in the room upstairs where his band practiced. I'd throw them all away if the photos weren't so cool. :)