Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Guys/Boys/Husbands

With homecoming time here, I want to blog about dating.

I think it's an incredible idea to make a list of what you want in a boyfriend before you start dating (or if you're already dating make a list for sure) . And don't settle for anything less than someone who meets all your requirements.

Also, I've heard don't date anybody you wouldn't marry.

This past week in high school Sunday school, we were studying Bad Girls of the Bible, by Liz Curtis Higgs. We're on the chapter about that amazing Joseph dude. He had it all! Young, good looking, powerful, a leader, plus he loved God. He loved God so much that he said no to a woman coming on to him. (Potiphar's wife) She was throwing herself at him begging him to sleep with her, and he still said no. Now, that's the marrying kind!

Is there anything more attractive that a guy with some self confidence plus a whole lot of God confidence? I don't think so.

Here are some things that were on my dating list:

Cute
Doesn't get sunburned like I do :-) (weird one, I agree)
Funny
Hard working
Honest
Dependable
Loves God

You know what else? The guy should love God more than he loves you. That's right. Because if he puts God first, he'll cherish, respect, and honor you.

I married my high school sweetheart who is all those things. No, he's not perfect. Neither is our marriage, but God comes first in his life.

When you're getting serious with a guy see if he matches EVERYTHING on your list. If he doesn't be willing to pray about the situation. Remember that blessings always follow obedience.

My love♥ I haven't forgotten what it's like. ♥
Julie



2 comments:

Jenny B. Jones said...

Add "brushes his teeth on a regular basis" to the list. Nice to his mamma? Believes in showering after gym? I had a list, too, back in the day. Kept it in my Bible. But you gotta be flexible about the picky stuff (like must be blonde and blue eyed with Australian accent). But on the Godly matter and hygiene? Cling to the list!

Julie Garmon said...

Yes, yes, brushes his teeth. Showers. Gets regular haircuts. For sure!

Julie