Saturday, September 02, 2006

Waiting

I am working on my Masters of Arts of Biblical Studies through Dallas Theological Seminary. One of my classes this semester requires me to read through the Psalms. I came across a couple of verses that had encouraged me a couple of years ago, and I want to share them with you.

"I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the LORD in the land of the living. Wait for the LORD; Be strong, and let your heart take courage; Yes, wait for the LORD." Psalm 27:13-14 (NASB)

In October 2004, I was speaking at a girls' event called Yada Yada in Atlanta. Jackie Kendall, the author of Lady in Waiting, was one of the keynote speakers. I had read that book in college, and it changed my view toward guys and dating. I was so excited to meet her and thank her.

I sat across from her and told her that I had a dream of writing books for young women, but had been discouraged because publisher after publisher rejected my idea. She opened up her Bible and read those verses to me out of Psalm 27. She encouraged me to believe and wait. Two things that sound simple, but are not. I had to believe that God had a plan for me and that He knew the desires to minister to young women. Then, the toughest thing of all...WAIT! I don't know about you, but waiting is difficult. I don't like to wait in lines. I didn't like waiting for a guy to notice me. And I certainly didn't like waiting for my dreams to come true.

But God encourages us to believe and wait. I did just that. I believed that God was involved in my life and dreams, and I waited...and waited...and waited. I would have despaired under the anxiety of uncertainty unless I believed.

What are your dreams? Do you feel discouraged? May these verses encourage you, too. Believe that God is good, and He is intimately involved in your life. Wait. Be strong and let your heart that courage.

Blessings,
Sarah

No comments: