Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Hair

I think every family is weird about at least one thing.

Something our family obsesses about is our hair. When I was 17 months old my mom gave me a perm. A perm at 17 months!! And every Saturday night before church, my sister and I had to roll our hair using this cold green glop called Dippety-do. Back then, my mom went to the beauty shop once a week and came home with hard helmet hair.

Yesterday, Mom had another hair crisis. She woke up at 4 a.m. thinking about her hair. She called me really early. "Julie, I'm leaving for New York Wednesday. What am I going to do? My hair feels like material it's so dry(she doesn't have helmet hair anymore), plus it's completely flat on top. I hate the color!"

Because we panic about our hair, I talked her through it. She called our hairdresser at home and scheduled an emergency consultation this morning.

I understand. I've freaked about my hair too.

But yesterday I was thinking about it.

This is for real.

Could our hair be more important (at least on some days) to us than God?

Whatever takes up our thoughts, is that person or thing or problem bigger to us than God?

I confess. Yes. So many times I've put my hair ahead of my Father.

Anybody else?

♥Julie

3 comments:

Jenny B. Jones said...

A perm at 17 months? Girl, you're lucky you HAVE hair!

Julie Garmon said...

The crazy thing is Mom insists I ASKED for the perm.

Julie

Madeleine said...

Okay, this post is a few years old now, but I would like to point out that I am a fourteen year old girl and I am BALD. I have very little hair on my entire body, let alone my head.

Please post more about hair or lack thereof, because it can be a sensitive subject rarely approached when a bald girl is in attendance. And that alone drives me insane.