Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Is God More Than a Feeling?

I'm so excited! My newest book for teens will hit the shelves in 10 weeks!


It's called Making It Real: Whose Faith is It Anyway?

This book is the first in a series for teens who want to take their faith to the next level. Each chapter ends with daily devos that help you put feet on what you've learned. In the first chapter you learn that: God is more than a feeling

So, will you explore that thought with me today?

Grab your Bible and read Acts 16:19-34.

Isn't this exactly what you don't want? You're doing everything right and suddenly everything goes wrong.

A fortune teller traipses after Paul and Silas and they take time to tell her about Jesus. She hangs an "out of business" sign as a psychic and her owners aren't happy. They see dollar signs disappearing so they throw Paul and Silas in jail.

Now Paul and Silas have to spend a few days in the clinker. Civil rights weren't a huge issue back then, so jail wasn't the greatest place to hang out.

Around midnight, Paul and Silas start singing a tune--praising God with all their heart. I don't understand this fully, do you? Paul is naked and battered, and the guy is singing like he’s trying out for the choir. But Paul and Silas have learned that faith isn't about feelings or circumstances. They know that this will work out for the greater good if they keep their focus on Christ.

Your lack of feelings--or overabundance of them--doesn't mean that Godisn't on the scene. When you're doing everything right and life is crumbling all around you, you can stand on truth instead of feelings.

I've lived this. When I had cancer and I looked at my three beautiful small children, I turned to truth rather than fear. When my son was hurt by a drunk driver and spent six weeks in the hospital with 13 fractures from the waist down, I turned to truth rather than anger or desperation.

There were moments--lots of them--when feelings tried to overwhelm me, and that is when I got very alone with God and was honest with him, but also opened my arms and my heart to embrace the truth that I was not alone.

May I pray with you today?

Thank you God that you are bigger than feelings. I know that you are with me, and with this beautiful daughter of your's who is reading this right now. I know that you are trustworthy and faithful, and that difficult times somehow fall into place as we trust in you. Thank you that in the midst of difficult times, you walk with us, carry us, and help us to live a consistent faith life with you. I pray that she will sense that you love her and that you are with her even now. Amen.

Hey girls, it's such a privilege to hang out with each of you! I hope that you will spread the word. Let people know that we are here! We're ready to grow!

Suzie Eller (T. Suzanne)
http://daretobelieve.org

3 comments:

Sarah Anne Sumpolec said...

Cool cover Suzie!

Congratulations!

Anonymous said...

Wow, that was definitely something I needed to hear right now. It has been said to me now by about 5 of my friends in the last few days, so I guess maybe it's a pretty important thing for me to listen to and learn. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

wow. God is speaking to me about this area too. thanks suzanne! cheers!

-mace