Monday, February 12, 2007

Be My Valentine?

To me, Valentine’s Day is the like the annual set up for disappointment. I hated this holiday growing up because I never had a boyfriend on this holiday. In high school, people would have flowers and balloons delivered to the school. At the end of every class period, the office would call out a list of names who had gifts waiting for them in the gym. My name was never called. Every year, I was disappointed. My expectations weren’t met. My hopes were dashed. I always ended up feeling “less than” because I placed my value in what I was going to get. Since I never got anything, I always ended up feeling like I wasn’t valued.

I have realized that we have intrinsic value because we were created by God in His image (Genesis 1:27). Intrinsic means “by or in itself, rather than because of its associations.” That means that you have value apart from externals. You have value not because of your body, hair, face, friends, or what is said about you. You have value because you were created by God in His image. Things go wrong when you forget that truth. A lot of times, we get into relationships in order to feel valued. You wait for someone to give you value. You hold a cup up to every single person you see asking them to fill you up with value. Tell me I look pretty. Tell me you want me. Tell me you love me. Tell me you want to date me. Tell me you’ll call me. The truth is that you already matter. You already are valued. Psalm 43:8 says, “Let the morning bring me word of your unfailing love for I have put my trust in Thee. Show me the way in which I should go for to You I lift up my soul.”

As Valentine’s Day approaches, I wanted to be God’s mouthpiece to tell you that He is crazy about you. You are valued by Someone who breathed you and this world into existence. When He speaks, the stars are put in the sky. When He speaks, mountains move. You have value apart from anything external. I hope that Wednesday isn’t a disappointment, and that you have a day where you see what God thinks about you.
You are loved,
Sarah Bragg

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is something I have struggled with my whole life.(18 years) I am Thankful your sharing.(God is Amazing) He used your writing to help me. It is like your writing knows no time.