Thursday, February 01, 2007

The End in Mind

I have spent the past two evenings watching American Idol. I love the opening shows when people audition. There was an older man on the show last night who had a petition of hundreds of names pleading to be allowed to audition. The reason why he wanted to audition was because his wife of 20 years had come down with cancer. The fact that he wanted to audition brought her joy during her pain. Two days before the audition, she passed away. He was there to honor her. I sat on the couch crying!

Watching this man made me think about something. What if you found out that you had a terminal disease? How would your life change if you knew your days were limited? Your answer depends on your faith. If you have no faith, it might not matter what you do the next day. But if you have faith, you realize that there is more to life. You would live as if it mattered. You would live with a real sense of purpose.

The Westminster Shorter Catechism says, “What is the chief end of man? Man’s chief end is to glorify God, and to enjoy Him forever.” Hearing that, I can’t help but ask myself, “Do I really worship God or am I giving Him lip service?”

We are all worshippers. We all worship something. Whether you are a Christian or not. Worship is simply giving something or someone worth. Worship can be music, but it more than that. It’s a lifestyle.

John Piper said in his book, Desiring God, “The proper understanding o everything in life begins with God. No one will ever understand the necessity of conversion who does not know why God created us. He created us “in His image” so that we would image forth his glory in the world. We were made to be prisms refracting the light of God’s glory into all of life. Why God should want to give us a share in shining with is glory is a great mystery. Call it grace or mercy or love—it is an unspeakable wonder. Once we were not. Then we existed for the glory of God!”

Worship is about God’s glory. The only thing about me that worship involves is my obedience. Worship is not for my pleasure, but for God’s pleasure. That’s why I was created. That is my purpose in life. Worship is for God’s benefit, not mine.

I have been struck with my lack of thinking towards daily worship. I think about worship on Sunday’s. I think about worship off and on, but I sometimes lack the thoughts of worship in everything I do. My worship and adoration of Him is sometimes sporadic and honestly shallow. It seems like often it is about me rather than about Him. God has purposed us to bring Him pleasure.

Think about the days of your life and live with a sense of purpose. Think of ways today to worship God with wholehearted devotion.

Sarah Bragg

No comments: