Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Easter Surprise


My 22-year-old daughter said, "Mom, I hope you're still going to get me an Easter basket now that I'm married? I love chocolate bunnies and that pretty cellophane paper. I like that you don't know what's inside until you rip it open."
"Hmmm. I really hadn't thought about it--I mean YOU'RE MARRIED."
Our 25-year-old daughter has moved home for a little bit. She's getting her life together. For the longest time, she couldn't find her pink Bible we'd given her when she was 14. Guess where she found it? Underneath her car seat.
I sat and held her Bible after the left the room. I ran my fingers over the pages and read her underlinings and sweet notes she'd made way back when.
Then it hit me.
I knew the perfect Easter present to give my girls this year. The Message Bible. Maybe they even have them in Easter colors!! And, just like with the cellophane wrapping, you don't know all the good stuff that's inside until you open it up.
Here's a part of the Message by Eugene Peterson from Proverbs 3 (since today is April 3rd). I try and read the Proverbs that matches the day of the month since there are 31 chapters in Proverbs.
"Trust God from the BOTTOM OF YOUR HEART;
Don't try to FIGURE OUT EVERYTHING ON YOUR OWN.
Listen to God's voice in EVERYTHING you do, EVERYWHERE you go;
HE'S THE ONE WHO WILL KEEP YOU ON TRACK."
I can't wait to look for a pink Message Bible for Jamie and a yellow one for Katie.
Maybe I'll throw in a chocolate bunny.
Love to you all.
Julie

No comments: