Saturday, September 15, 2007

BookSigning


I had a booksigning today at one of the local Barnes and Nobles. Booksignings always surprise me.
One of my favorite questions is "Are you her?"
Am I? I think I am.
Another gem is "Are these books any good?"
I am the wrong one to ask. No, because I am becomingly modest. Yes, but I'm horrendously arrogant.
In the grocery aisle at Walmart next to the organically grown vegetables, I heard someone exclaim, "Are you THAT author?"
Seriously, do I want to admit that I am THAT author?

God has put me in a position where I am in front of the auditorium instead of in the back row where I prefer. I write way better than I speak. But I laugh a lot and force other people to laugh with me. (That's right. If you don't laugh, it is a challenge to me, and I'll keep trying until I get you.)
For many years the verse about being content in any state I found myself in meant for me to accept coupon cutting, penny pinching, and waiting for a sale to buy shoes, etc. Now being content in any state means accepting that people are really interested in me, and I need to be ready to give an answer. Some are interested in my books and are surprised I am a Christian.
I've learned a lot of things along the way, and one of the most significant is that God is going to surprise me.

2 comments:

Timothy Fish said...

I think it is very silly to ask an author if his or her book is any good. If an author won't stand behind a book then no one should. I did have a book that I consider to be terrible, but it will never make it into print.

I think some modesty is overrated. If a book really is good, the author should say so. To do otherwise would be to lie. Perhaps the best thing to do in these situations would be to say, "Yes, I believe it is, but don't take my word for it." That is why putting endorsements on the back of the book is helpful.

SuseADoodle said...

Ut oh. I'm a back-of-the-room, in the dark corner kind of person (in the dark corner ALONE so no one will notice me) ... and I want to write and write and write ... and I do. Then someone comes along and tells me that I'm selfish to keep all those stories to myself, I've got to send them out into the bigger world so editors can see them and they can let more people see them.

Fine by me, I say. As long as I can stay in the dark corner in the back of the room and the books can shine for themselves.

Now you tell me being content in any state might also mean getting out of my hiding place?

Ut oh!


Thanks for this post.