Sunday, November 04, 2007

Positivity and Junk Like That


I struggle with negativity. (Can a sister get an amen?)

A friend of mine (who does not struggle with negativity, though I still like her...) told me about these bracelets that people at work were wearing. Apparently on Oprah this pastor told about his campaign for a "Complaint Free World" and his mission to make the world a more positive place. The idea is that you wear this bracelet and every time you gossip or say something negative, you switch the bracelet to the other wrist. Soon you will be switching the bracelet less and less!

I tried this.
I didn't get the cool pink bracelet, but instead used a ponytail holder (because I'm negative and cheap). And every time I would say something unnecessarily snarky, the bracelet would have to move to my other wrist. Guess what...it worked.

Now I'm not totally cured (not even close), but it did work in that it has really made me think before I speak (this is a new concept for me). I have taken some time off from the bracelet, but during the weeks I wore it, I would genuinely stop and think, "Is this comment WORTH moving the bracelet?" See, the same friend who told me about it in the first place, was now my accountability and would ask for frequent progress reports. It became like a game--and I didn't want to lose.

But life got busy, and I soon forgot my bracelet in the early morning rush.
And you know what? I easily slipped back into my old ways.
This bracelet isn't magical. But it did make me more aware and more prayerful about the things that I think and say.

I dare YOU to try it. Grab a cool bracelet, a ponytail holder, a rubber band, something, and take the bracelet challenge. I'm going back to it. Come on--join me. Let's all be stinkin' positive together.
: )

2 comments:

Jeanne Damoff said...

This is a great idea, but mostly I just wanted to say that you crack me up. I love your sense of humor. :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the idea, I really need something like this and i will definately pass it on.