Sunday, April 06, 2008

Confession


Last week at church, the message was about the words we say. He talked about how dangerous our mouths are and how we need to use caution when opening them. I left church that day thinking the message was good, but not really feeling like I had a problem.

I went throughout my week and to be honest forgot about the message all together until this morning. I sat down in my reading nook with a cup of hot chocolate to spend some quality time in God's word. I asked God to speak to me through His word as I read and studied. I still wasn't thinking about that message until the very end of my time. As I finished reading, I looked on the ottoman in front of me and saw the card with scripture verses that they handed out last week at church. I instantly knew what God wanted to say to me this morning.

He flooded my mind with a few instances this week when my words got the best of me. I distinctly remember blaming my little outbursts on the fact that I am eight months pregnant and hormonal, but there was no pointing fingers this morning except at myself. My words were used like fire this week.

Here are the verses that God used to convict and refine me this morning:

"When words are many, sin is not absent, but he who holds his tongue is wise." Proverbs 10:19

"A man of knowledge uses words with restraint, and a man of understanding is even-tempered." Proverbs 17:27

"May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer." Psalm 19:14

I am thankful for God's loving discipline in me. He is a loving Father who disciplines us in order to make us more like Him. So as I begin my week, I want to use extreme caution when it comes to my words. I pray that God gives me the ability to stop and think before I speak so that I can use words that will build up and not tear down.

No comments: