Thursday, June 05, 2008

So Proud!


On Tuesday my son Nathan graduated from kindergarten. As you can see from this picture he gave the valedictory address. Just kidding! Actually, every child read from a book that highlighted there year, what they learned, special events, and what they did each day. They sang inspirational songs like “First Grade, First Grade” to the tune of “New York, New York” (complete with kick line) and even threw their caps at the end of the ceremony. I sat back and marveled at how quickly the year had raced by, knowing that it wouldn’t be long before his dad and grandparents and I sat in an audience watching him graduate from high school. I tried not to get too caught up in the melancholy side. Instead I focused on how proud I was of my little scholar. That was my little boy up there, reading into a microphone (and very well, I might add), receiving a diploma, and moving on to a new grade. Some might say, “A kindergarten graduation? How ridiculous.” But hey, for 5 and 6-year-olds it’s a very big deal. They can read, count to 100, add and subtract a little, and write short sentences. How many of them could say that in August? They are officially in a “grade!” Our Nate the Great has a lot to be proud of and so do we.


Many of you are probably graduating this month. Let me just take this moment to encourage you to be proud of your accomplishments. You’ve made it through high school! Whether you got straight A’s or not you made it through and are ready to move on the next phase of God’s plan for you.


Oh, and whether they vocalize it or not, your parents have a lot to be proud of too. So maybe you can thank them for being part of the process of getting you to this point.

Happy Summer!
Jeanette

No comments: