Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Friends




I was talking to my 25-year-old daughter yesterday about friends. "Katie," I said, "I'm almost 50. I have a few really close friends. I probably won't make many more. Remember in high school? You thought you'd stay close to everybody you hung out with. Life happens and you just don't keep in touch."

She agreed.

This is a picture of one of my lifetime friends. Robin and I met when we were 14 and 15. We're at Katie's wedding. I can't tell you how good it felt for her to be there. To come sit down at me at the reception. To laugh with me. To understand what it feels like when your daughter marries.

Maybe other people are different. Maybe there are girls/ladies with tons of friends. Not me. I know plenty of people but there are only a handful I'll call when things in life get tough.

Do you have a lot of friends or just a few?

What makes someone a good friend?

Can you share something a friend has done for you when you were down?

Is there a time a friend just listened (which is a gift) and made your day better?

I love that scripture that says, "There is a friend who sticketh closer than a brother." Sometimes friends can love us more than family. I'm so glad God lets that happen.

Love,
Julie

No comments: