Saturday, October 31, 2009

Friendship



Today I’m meeting my very best friend Tara for coffee. What used to be a common occurrence is now quite scarce; after getting married in March, she moved 2 ½ hours away. We have been friends since we were 9, which means I have far more memories that include her than those that don’t! True friendship is such an amazing gift.

When we first met we really didn’t like each other- she thought I was wild &
rambunctious, and I thought she was shy & boring! Oh how far we’ve come :)

She has been more than just someone to go shopping or get pedicures with; she has been someone to share my life journey with, to encourage me in the Lord, and someone who I can have a blast with. I remember in middle school all the sleepovers we had and the secrets we shared.

Then in high school supporting each others dreams and standing by each other no matter what. At 16 we both went on our first overseas mission trip to Kenya together. It was an experience I will remember the rest of my life- and when I look through my photo album she is in every picture. It’s so much more fun to mock two people’s bad hair styles and frumpy clothing! One of our craziest and most hilarious adventures involves a trip to Atlanta, being insulted by a homeless man we were trying to help, and me getting my face closed in a subway door filled with wide eyed on lookers!

I truly believe that our friendship through those most difficult years spared me from pain and has helped make me who I am today.

Over this past year we have both had the privilege of standing next to each other as we witnessed the other taking her vows. Life has taken many turns and we have been separated by states and continents for years at a time, but each time we pick up where we left off.

What was once dreaming of being able to drive and sharing our secret crushes, has become talking about weddings, married life, and hoping and praying that neither of us have ugly kids! The thing is- I’m still me and Tara is still Tara, even after all these years.

John 15:13
" Greater love has no one than this, that one lay down his life for his friends."

1 comment:

Fliterary said...

That is so precious. What a joy to have a friend like that. You are blessed!