Friday, October 02, 2009

What makes you buckle down?

I'm a people-pleaser, so the idea of disappointing someone else really motivates me. To that end I started a new blog.
Now that, in itself, is ironic, because blogging is not one of my favorite things to do. I always feel the pressure to be witty and spiritual on demand when a blog is due. This is a pressure I put on myself. It is one I could do without. So now I have four blogs I participate in. LOL
Have you ever noticed that your cat goes and torments the guest in your house who doesn't like cats? I feel like my blogs are cats that show up in my lap, determined to get some attention. And I really want to pet the cat, enjoy its soft fur, bring on that ingratiating purr, and have the cat curl up in my lap. I guess I'm a cat-pleaser too. But it takes time.
The reason I am a people-pleaser is that people matter to me. They aren't just a mass of a nebulous something that exists beyond my immediate circle. And I think that God in me is what recognizes that.
Back to the blogs. I love connecting with readers, and once I've blogged I feel good about it. But beforehand, I squirm. I ought to write out this blog when the inspiration hits me, then just post it on the day it's due. But that would aggravate the procrastinator in me.
So, I guess being human and having noticeable flaws takes me to the point I'm getting to.
I am horribly late on my manuscript. Therefore, with my people-pleaser motivation taken into account, I started a new blog called A Writer Writes . . . Sometimes. I post the number of the chapter I'm on and the word count.
Then I said to myself, "You know, sweetcakes, it's never all about you. So I decided to include a writing tip directly from the work I did that day. That way I can please people who are interested in writing.
Take a look and tell me what you think: A Writer Writes . . . Sometimes.

No comments: