Wednesday, December 08, 2010

Christmas Wish List!

When I was in high school I had two friends from church who told me they got everything on their Christmas list. EVERYTHING. What did a "cool" Christmas list look like in 1986? I don't remember their whole list, but here are a few things I remember:

  • a waterbed (they were cool back then)
  • new Jordache jeans (all the rage)
  • a VCR (yes, the old tape kind)
  • the soundtrack for Pretty in Pink (on cassette)

I remember being jealous when the day after Christmas these two girls confirmed their parents had fulfilled their wishes. I also felt a little sad for them. I mean what's the fun of opening Christmas presents if you already know what's inside?

I also laugh at the things we thought were cool back then. Fads come and go, which makes me think of my own Christmas wish list.

This year I have a few things on my wish list that I'd like. They include some WWII non-fiction books and a few fun bath items, because soaking and reading is one of my favorite past times. My own list isn't as large as it used to be, mostly because I've been practicing being more thankful--even before Thanksgiving.

During the Christmas season it's easy to be more focused on what we want, rather than what we have. And while it's okay to be eager to see what gifts await you under the tree, our greatest gifts aren't wrapped with bows.

"Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows" (James 1:17).

What to feel really thankful? Take a moment to think about what would happen if God took these "gifts from above" away. Frightening isn't it?

Considering this gives me a whole new outlook. It also makes me more eager to create a new type of list.

One of the things I've been doing lately is thinking of 10 things I'm thankful for as soon as I wake up in the morning. It's amazing what this does for the outlook of my day.

My thankfulness list doesn't include my bed, jeans, dvd, or iPod, although it could. Mostly I've been thanking God for my health, for money to pay the bills, for good friends, for a husband and children who love me, and for my salvation. These are things that mean the most--true gifts from God.

What's on your list? I'd love to hear. There will always be little things we'd like to have, but remember to take time to thank God for the large gifts in your life you don't want to live without.

6 comments:

emii said...

I love this post. "What to feel really thankful? Take a moment to think about what would happen if God took these "gifts from above" away. Frightening isn't it?"

10 things I’m thankful for
Amazing friends
Casual day
Last of school
No work
God being here
Christmas tree
Beautiful day
Breakfast
Love
Jesus being my friend

Melissa Sharon said...

Thank you for the reminder. This year with such a tight budget, I have found myself struggling with envying those who can get all the things on the list for their kids. However, I have tried to draw myself back to the truth of Christmas for my kids and me and majoring on what really matters. Great post!

Jane Tonn-Kreski said...

Great post and my list is pretty similar:
definitely salvation
my husband
my family
my friends
my dog
retirement
money to pay the bills is big
health
having health insur.
the beauty of the Earth

Cheryl Smith said...

10 things:
turtleneck sweaters
my warm fuzzy green blanket
a cozy bed
a fire in the fireplace
the smell of beeswax candles
the sound of laughter around the dinner table
the feeling you get when you get in the car on a cool day, and it's warm from the sun shining in all day
semi sweet chocolate chips
coffee
contact lenses

(none all that spiritual. Focusing on small joys instead)

Anonymous said...

You know what's crazy? How easy it is to spend so much at Christmastime. I thought I was doing great with keeping spending under control this year. But when I tallied everything up--I could not believe how much I'd spent. Every year I try to take a step closer to buying fewer-but even more meaningful--gifts. To me, giving gifts is an awesome, wonderful part of this season, but it needs to be in moderation.

Anonymous said...

I feel like I've gotten closer to God this year, so I asked my parent to give me a devotional and a notebook that has verses on every page(among other things. I think I'm finally understanding what being a Christian really is and what Christianity really means.