Tuesday, February 22, 2011

MTV's Teen Mom

The MTV show Teen Mom (spun off from 16 and Pregnant) is the hottest thing out there. You know it's big when these teen parents grace the majority of the magazine covers at check out stands.

Recently, during a radio interview I was asked what I thought about the show. Of course I was happen to give my opinion. :)

I think it's SAD! I think it's wrong for a show to exploit teen parents like this. I've watched the majority of the shows and my heart goes out to the young people.

What I don't like is the TV camera getting caught up in their drama and angst. There have been fist fights, shouting matches, tears. Lots of tears. Yes, it's reality, but can't we do better?

What I would LOVE to see is a show that would help these young parents.  An Extreme Makeover of their life and circumstances. People could be brought in to give them guidance on their education and parenting classes and job training and relationship counseling and ... a listening ear.

Why are we so fascinated with seeing these teens fumble? Should we make stars out of them because their problems make for good TV?

While I can't be a personal mentor to all these young people (I wish I could), I'm going to do my part in reaching out to the young parents God put in my path.

Won't you do the same? These young parents need you. Your loving care could be the first step in the makeover of their lives.

3 comments:

Ms. Blasé said...

The first time I watched an episode was Christmas 2010 when my sister came home and took over the family television. I haven't watched the program since and fail to understand its popularity. Television networks seem desperate for ratings and, unfortunately, tragedy and melodrama reel in audiences.

Diane Marie Shaw said...

I so agree that they need our mentoring. It breaks my heart when teen girls at church are moms. Yeah, they have sinned, haven't we all. They need our love, our compassion and our help in learning how to mother their babies.
They know they did wrong it faces them 24 hours a day.They need the grace that God has already given them coming from us too.
Thanks for speaking up.

Stephanie Morrill said...

I love this post, Tricia! An "Extreme Makeover" type show for young parents would be wonderful.