Sunday, May 08, 2011

A student of God's Word.

My two girls, Leslie and Alyssa, share a room. They're 18-years-old and .. 13 months old! Yesterday when I was putting by baby down for a nap I picked up my teen daughter's Bible for a few minutes of quiet time. I opened her Bible to the Psalms and found the perfect verse:

Those who look to him for help will be radiant with joy; no shadow of shame will darken their faces
. Ps 34:5

It was just the Scripture I needed and it popped out to me as I flipped through the pages because Leslie had highlighted the Scripture verse in orange. In fact, as I looked through the Bible I found that most pages has Scriptures highlighted. Some pages had more than one verse marked with notes written in the sidebars. Seeing this filled my heart with joy. The highlights and notes showed me that my daughter was a student of God's Word, not because I demand it (I don't), but because she loves Jesus, and hopefully because she's seen me and her father doing the same.

How often do you spend time in God's Word?

God's Word will ...

give you hope
provide you with peace
point you to the answers
remind you Jesus is with you
open your eyes to the goodness of God

and so much more. Every minute you spend reading the Bible will change you on the inside. It'll also transform how you look at everything and everyone around you.

And who knows, maybe someday your highlighted Scripture verse will encourage someone else at just the right time.

2 comments:

Diana said...

Thanks for sharing this Tricia. I think sometimes we often forget that His word is there to help us know Him better, and lead us through our everyday lives. Thank you for the reminder.

Nicole @Project Inspired said...

Loved reading this. Your daughter sounds wonderful. Like they say, the apple doesn't fall far from the tree!