Saturday, September 24, 2011

Conferencin' it up...

As you read this, I am at the 2011 ACFW CONFERENCE! (I scheduled this post early, can you tell? hehe) Probably right now I'm in the middle of a workshop or sipping my 4th mocha of the day (there is a STARBUCKS IN OUR HOTEL!!) or covering a yawn with my hand or getting dressed for the fancy banquet awards night.

I don't know if you've ever attended a writer's conference, but let me tell you, there is nothing more exciting, productive, exhausting, mind-numbing, and beneficial than a writer's conference for an aspiring author. Or even a well known, multi-pubbed author. That's the beauty of the conferences - no matter where you are in the writing journey, there is something new to learn, someone new to meet, someone new who needs encouragment...God has a place for all of us in each step of the way.

Throw in a bunch of awesome workshops by talented speakers, yummy hotel food, meetings with editors/agents, seeing author-friends face to face for the first time in a year or longer, a fully staffed prayer room and active praise and worship time, and VOILA! Amazing experience.

I think of the ACFW Conference as my spiritual "youth camp". You remember youth camps, don't you? Or maybe you're still young enough to go. I miss those days, those spiritual highs that completely rejuvenate your relationship with God. There's nothing like a bunch of like-minded, brothers and sisters in Christ worshipping together - and I get that at the conference like I don't get elsewhere anymore. Beautiful!

So prayers are much appreciated during this special time, for all the authors going, and for the plans God has for them to discover. For travel safety and health. All that good stuff ;) And I'll be eager to post about what I learn next time!

Have a great weekend!

2 comments:

Tessa Emily Hall said...

Wow... I got chills from reading this post! I couldn't agree more. Attending a writer's conference was the best decision I've made in my writing journey. Not just because that's where I met my publisher, but because of the amazing experience I had meeting other writers, learning, getting inspired, drinking mulitple mochas a day, etc. Just reading this post is making me excited for my third conference next May.

"That's the beauty of the conferences - no matter where you are in the writing journey, there is something new to learn, someone new to meet, someone new who needs encouragment...God has a place for all of us in each step of the way."

So true! It's incredible the many ways I've seen God work in people's lives just from a five-day writing conference. =)

emii said...

It sounds like one of the most wonderful things in the world!