Monday, March 19, 2012

A Divine Appointment


Yesterday was a difficult day. Nothing major happened; just little things that brought old emotions to the surface.

“I have a feeling that you’ll feel better tomorrow,” my friend Lula said when we talked over the phone. “It’ll be a new day.”

And she was right. I woke up feeling a little less sad. But I still felt . . . needy. Like things weren’t quite right yet and I wanted to unload the leftovers from yesterday on someone.

Then I ran into Julie while dropping my son off at school. She offered me a ride home and I immediately took her up on it. We talked long after she pulled into my driveway. I opened up a little about my not-so-great mood and yesterday’s “what’s going on with me?” near-spiral, but suddenly I didn’t feel quite as needy or desperate to rant or cry or both. Next thing I knew, we were talking about other things—God, church, the state of the world that we didn’t know whether to be frightened or excited over, I kind of lost track after awhile.

“I should probably let you go,” I said, realizing all that I needed to do. Suddenly, I had the energy for it.

“I’m so glad I ran into you.” Julie gave me a hug. As it turned out, she had been having a rough morning too. Nothing major, just a not-so-great mood.

And now we were both over it, ready to move on into our day with a lighter heart.

“It was a divine appointment,” Julie said.

“It definitely was.”

Do you feel needy today for . . . something? Maybe you don’t know what you need or why you feel the way you do? Ask God to send you a divine appointment. You never know if you will be that person’s answer to prayer too.

2 comments:

Bekah Hamrick Martin said...

This was beautiful. I love these divine appointments... makes me think about all the times God has stepped in for me like this when I desperately needed it. God bless you and your friend.

Jeanette Hanscome said...

Thanks Bekah! I'm learning to be more sensitive to such moments.


Girls, God, and the Good Life

 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs. Copyright 2011. All Rights Reserved.