Sunday, May 27, 2012

I finally finished The Hunger Games trilogy

Camy here, and I just finished Mockingjay yesterday.

Overall, a highly entertaining trilogy. I don’t always think Katniss is a very likable character, but I really felt for her struggles. I could wish she did somethings and not others, but then again she’s a seventeen year old girl and her government and the Capital society is cold-hearted and corrupt. Who am I to say I wouldn’t make some of the same choices? Because I think that I probably would.

Heather over at OurAdvocate pointed out something I hadn’t noticed before--throughout the entire series, there is not one word about any type of religion in Panem. That’s something worth noting, because I think that we as humans are created to believe in something. We’re built to have a spiritual hole that we try to fill, but can only be truly satisfied with Jesus.

I’m not going to try to attribute any type of Christian themes to the Hunger Games trilogy, because I don’t think that was the author’s intent anyway. But it was a good commentary on our society, and more importantly what we could be capable of.

We are all human, all fallen short of the glory of God. But thanks be to God, who delivers me through Jesus Christ our Lord, that where my sin increases, His grace for me increases all the more (Rom 7:25, 5:20).

And where your sin increases, His grace for you increases all the more. Peace out, chicks.

Camy Tang writes romance with a kick of wasabi. Out now is the first book in her new series, Protection for Hire, which is like Stephanie Plum meets The Joy Luck Club. She is a staff worker for her church youth group, and leads one of the worship teams for Sunday service. On her blog, she ponders frivolous things like knitting, running, dogs, and Asiana. Visit her website to sign up for her quarterly newsletter.

5 comments:

Sapphire said...

The lack of religion in the series might be a warning, too - some of the most despotic governments in the past couple of centuries (e.g. Nazi Germany and communist Russia) completely banned religion across the board. This is not too far a step from our current (government-run) school system, teaching that athiesm is the only true and practical worldview. :-P

Jessica said...

Sapphire makes a really good point in saying that this is an atheism-driven society. Our society mocks God and the supernatural. It's just so sad... the word of God needs to be spread!

Anonymous said...

I just finished the trilogy too. I enjoyed and agreed with your review.

Camy Tang said...

Sapphire--good point!

Jessica--Yes, it does! I was convicted today in church during the prayer time that I should ask God for more opportunities to spread His gospel to unbelievers in my life.

Jo--It was really entertaining! Just a little depressing at times. :)

Steve Finnell said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.