Sunday, June 10, 2012

What kind of toothpaste are you anyway?

If you've ever been to a youth retreat or youth camp or even a youth service on Wednesday night, there's a good chance you've heard the Toothpaste Example.

If you think I'm crazy, let me explain :)

The toothpaste example one can be summed in one sentence, really.

Ahem.

"What's inside of you will come out when squeezed".

Get it yet? Basically, our bodies/hearts/lives are like a tube of toothpaste. When we're squeezed - when the storms of life arise, when we are faced with hardship or loss or frustration or anger (whether that be a broken heart from a dissolved relationship or something as simple as a papercut) what's inside of us will be revealed.

That's going to be either:

1. A pretty, blue-and-white-striped glob of healthy toothpaste that makes our teeth stronger and our breath smell great (i.e. an attractive attitude with a pure heart and best intentions)

or...

2. A dried, slightly gooey and disgusting string of used up, nasty toothpaste that should have been thrown away months ago. (i.e. curse words, slanderous talk, lies, defensiveness, and accusations)

What are you when squeezed?

6 comments:

Britt Lauren said...

Great post and wonderful example! Thanks for sharing this!! :) I love your blog here!

RealMe - Emily said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
RealMe - Emily said...

Hey! Can I repost this in a tab on my blog www.ramblingsbyemily.wordpress.com ?

I LOVE THIS!

Jessica said...

I have never heard of the "toothpaste example" before, but this was really good! :)

Teen Blogger said...

That's a great way to look at life. Great post and blog. I'm new on here take a look at my blog if you wish :)

Betsy St. Amant said...

Emily, fine by me! Just please note that it was first posted on Girls, God and the Good life :)

Thanks guys I'm glad it helped! I know that example really woke me up as a teen and I still am convicted about it today as an adult and mama :)