Friday, May 10, 2013

What are you waiting for?

As humans, we wait.

And as humans, we usually hate waiting.

I know I do. I try to be patient, but when I'm stuck in traffic and running late to drop my daughter at school, or there's a wreck and I'm stuck waiting and going to be late for work, I get antsy. I get impatient.

And that's just the surface level stuff. How much worse is it in the figurative instead of the literal waiting? When we're waiting for God to change someone's heart? Waiting for God to provide for an emotional, mental, financial, or spiritual need? Waiting for God to restore a marriage or a home, waiting for God to repair a friendship that's been broken or strained, waiting for God to get through to our kids or family members who have strayed from His love. Waiting for a better medical report. Waiting to get through the school year or pass an important test or waiting to hear back from college applications.

Waiting is HARD.

Yet all over the Bible, we read verses on waiting and the benefits/promises that go with it.

Here's just a few -

Psalm 130:5-6
I wait for the LORD, my soul waits, and in his word I put my hope. My soul waits for the Lord more than watchmen wait for the morning, more than watchmen wait for the morning.

James 5:11
As you know, we consider blessed those who have persevered. You have heard of Job's perseverance and have seen what the Lord finally brought about. The Lord is full of compassion and mercy.

Lamentations 3:25
The LORD is good to those whose hope is in him, to the one who seeks him;

Psalm 40:1
I waited patiently for the LORD; he turned to me and heard my cry

Hebrews 6:15
And so after waiting patiently, Abraham received what was promised.

Psalm 37:34
Wait for the LORD and keep his way. He will exalt you to inherit the land; when the wicked are cut off, you will see it.

Galatians 6:9
Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up.

The Bible covers this topic thoroughly. Yet when we're in the midst of waiting, it's hard to remember there is the other side to it. That's where we struggle and get impatient - we feel like the waiting period will never end!

I realized something the other day that opened my eyes to this season of waiting in my own life. We constantly hear and read "Wait for the Lord" or "Wait on the Lord." And we should. That's right. That's a Biblical command. Do it! :)

But I think subconsciously, we connect "waiting" with distance. Right? When we're waiting, we're separated from the thing or person we want and are waiting for. Even when we're waiting for our food to heat up in the microwave, we're separated from it. We're waiting for it to be done so we can touch it and eat it.

Here's the thing - We're to wait FOR the Lord - but we can't ever forget we are also waiting WITH the Lord!

Jesus is there in the waiting room with us!

His Word promises us He never leaves us or forsakes us. Let that assurance of His presence ease the wounds and uncertainty of the waiting room.

It really changes everything when we keep this perspective.

We are safe in His timetable.

4 comments:

emii said...

You know, I think it's really important that we remember this. Because I tend to remember them separately but never quite put them together. So thanks, Betsy. Because I was was missing this. Waiting for Jesus... but He is with us. Doesn't seem so vague and, like you said, distant. Just real.

Judith Rolfs said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Diana P said...

I read Psalm 130 this morning, and was thinking about those verses, then I saw this post. Not coincidence at all, totally God! I will wait for you Lord!.He is so worth the wait!! Thank you for sharing

Clinical Hypnosis Treatments said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.