Saturday, September 22, 2012

This Weekend, Watch a Movie


I know what you're thinking: Classic movies are boring. They're old. They're not relevant. But let me just tell you that I loved these movies as a kid, and as my kids grew older and I showed them these movies, they came to love them, too. So, since this is the weekend, grab your friends and host a classic movie weekend. You might just be surprised at "new" favorites you'll find!

Tricia's Top Picks:

Newsies—My 20-year-old daughter and I love watching it together. The music and dancing is great!

Source: google.com via Tricia on Pinterest


The Sound of Music—I didn't watch this until I was an adult, and now I watch it a few times a year. I've been to Austria and know members of the von Trapp family, so that makes it extra special to me.

Source: imdb.com via Tricia on Pinterest


The Parent TrapThis was my favorite movie growing up. I didn't know my biological father ,so I always dreamed I had a sister out there somewhere. Come to find out I had four sisters!

Beauty and the BeastThis was the first movie I took my son Cory to. He sat through the whole movie, eyes wide.

Annie (1982 version)I love the music, and I love the story. Carol Burnett cracks me up.

The Princess BrideThis is a family favorite. If you are around the Goyers for any length of time, you'll hear us quoting it!

The SandlotThis was Cory and Nathan's favorite movie when they were small. Along with The Land Before Time, I can sit there and quote the whole movie!

It's a Wonderful LifeThis is my favorite Christmas movie. I'd always begged my kids to watch it with me. They were turned off by it being black and white, but when they finally watched it, they loved it, too!

Below is a list of movies for teens. Make sure you check out reviews first.

The List:
2,000 Leagues Under the Sea
3 Ninjas
Alice in Wonderland
All I Want For Christmas
Angels in the Outfield
Anne of Green Gables
Annie
Annie Get Your Gun
Back to the Future
Beauty and the Beast (Disney)
Bedknobs and Broomsticks
Benji
Big Red
Bob Hope Movies
Calamity Jane
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
Charlotte's Web
Cheaper by the Dozen
Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
Cinderella 
Corina Corina
Crocodile Dundee
Denise the Menace
Dudley DoRight
E.T.
Free Willy
Incredible Journey
Into the West
It's a Wonderful Life
Goonies
Heidi
Herbie the Love Bug (old versions)
Home Alone
Homeward Bound
Hook
Iron Will
Journey to the Center of the Earth
Karate Kid
Little Women
Mary Poppins
Matilda
My Fair Lady
My Girl
Newsies
No Deposit, No Return
Not Quite Human
October Sky
Oklahoma 
Old Yeller
Oliver
Pete's Dragon
Pippi Longstockins
Pollyanna
Richie Rich
Rocketeer
Sabrina (older version)
Secondhand Lions
Seven Brides for Seven Brothers
Shirley Temple
Short Circuit
Singing in the Rain
Sound of Music
The Apple Dumpling Gang
The Labyrinth
The Man from Snowy River
The Mouse on the Motorcycle
The Mountain Family Robinson
The Never-Ending Story
The Court Jester
The Princess Bride
The Sandlot
The Scarlet Pimpernel (with Leslie Howard)
The Secret Garden
The Swan Princess
The Swiss Family Robinson
The Music Man
The Little Toaster
The Three Musketeers
The Treasure Seekers
The Wizard of Oz
Where the Red Fern Grows
White Fang
Yours, Mine and Ours

Enjoy! And also let me know of any that I missed!

1 comment:

Shopgirl said...

So many great ones on here! I've seen most of these. My brother and I used to watch 3 ninjas over and over and practice our karate. Also love Parent trap, Singin' in the rain, sound of music, Beauty and beast, anne of green gables and the list goes on. A couple I thought of for kids are Little big league and Rookie of the year. Bringing up baby, philadelphia story with Katherine Hepburn, It happened one night, my favorite- White Christmas, Miracle on 34th Street old and new, Christmas in Connecticut, etc. are some other older great ones.