Sunday, August 28, 2005

You Said

I play piano and sing in the worship band at my church. From time to time I also do "specials." About a month ago our choir director asked me to sing during today's offering time. I didn't pick a song right away, because I wanted to give God time to inspire me. As of last Friday, I still hadn't settled on anything. I jokingly told some friends I would sing Taylor the Latte Boy, but I was pretty sure that wasn't the kind of mood God wanted me to set right before His Word would be preached.

One song kept coming back to my thoughts. You Said by Shane Barnard and Shane Everett. (Anyone around here a Shane and Shane fan? Check them out if you haven't.) There were a couple of obstacles: I didn't have the music; it's a guitar song, and I'm a better pianist than guitarist. But the song wouldn't leave me alone. So I used the guitar tabs and made up my own piano arrangement. I practiced Friday, Saturday, and this morning before church. Then I sang.

After church a big, burly man I've never seen before made a bee-line for me. A fire burned through the tears in his eyes. "I LOVE the song you sang. Would you sing it again next week when I preach?" Turns out he's a missionary on furlough from Africa. I spoke with the choir director about inserting the song before his sermon, but next week I'll invite the congregation to sing along. The words are very simple.

"You said, 'Ask and you will receive whatever you need.'
You said, 'Pray and I'll hear from heaven, and I'll heal your land. I'll heal your land.'
You said Your glory will fill the earth, like water the sea.
You said, 'Lift up your eyes, the harvest is here the kingdom is near,' You said,

'Ask, and I'll give the nations to you.'
Oh, Lord, that's the cry of my heart.
Distant shores and the islands will see
Your light as it rises on us."

Simple. But so powerful in its simplicity, because God promises His word does not return to Him empty. It accomplishes that for which He sent it. (Isaiah 55:11)

As we read the Bible, let's look for all the wonderful, amazing promises of God. He will do what He has said He will do, but sometimes He waits for us to ask.

"Ask, and I'll give the nations to you." Can we respond with the big, burly missionary, "Oh, Lord, that's the cry of my heart"? When it becomes the cry of our hearts, God will answer.

No comments: