Monday, September 19, 2005

What's Your Personality Like?

Last week I took a Myers-Briggs personality test. I've taken tests like this one before, but they really didn't mean anything at the time. Yes, I'm an introvert, and I like to be creative. I'm a good friend and faithful listener. Anyone could have guessed that.

Yet, I took the Myer's Brigg's test, and here are some things that especially hit a chord with me:

"INFJs have an internal picture of how they would like their work to contribute to the general good." (Well . . . I do like to work with teens and teen parents.)

"Through persistence, diligence, and conscientiousness, they complete their assignments on time. They are likely to enjoy research and will go great lengths to find answers." (Yeah . . . I write World War II novels that are heavily researched. And 99% of the time I complete my writing assignments on time. And if I don't, I get super stressed!)

"They also like the written word (and rely on it more than the spoken word) since it is usually better structured and more coherent with a ready-made framework." (Uh, yeah, every time there's conflict in my life, I'm more likely to write a letter than talk to someone about it. That way I can make sure I say what I want to say.)

"INFJs write and communicate well because they want to formulate their ideas clearly. They place high regard on their reader and audience. They seek to communicate their ideals to others. When their ideals need to be championed, they speak up in an enthusiastic and impassioned way." (Yes, that's me!)

"This unfettered imagination often will enable this person to compose complex and often aesthetic works of art such as music, mathematical systems, poems, plays, and novels. In a sense, the INFJ is the most poetic of all the types." (Did someone say novels?)

I found these results highly interesting because I always felt so disjointed before: being a champion and support for teenage mothers, writing non-fiction books and articles providing encouragement and helpful ideas, AND writing historical fiction in which I research every little detail, almost to a fault. It was amazing to see that all these things fit into one personality type. I'm not a disjointed mess after all!

The test can be found here.

And the best explanations are at:

http://www.geocities.com/lifexplore/enfp.htm

http://www.geocities.com/lifexplore/infj.htm

(Just change the last part with the correct type.)

At first, I was awed how a simple test could describe me so well, until I realized this testing system is simply man's discovery of the personality systems God has put in place.

Just as God created the smallest atoms in our body in great detail, He's also designed an order to our personalities, gifts, and talents. And that's something we should praise Him for!

Psalms 139:13 says, "For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well."

So what's your personality? Take the test and be sure to let me know the results. I'd love to hear about the unique way God created you!

No comments: