Sunday, April 09, 2006

Uncomplicated Faith

This morning I was in my college class called DEEP. We've been in an intense study called, "Becoming What God Intended". It is a study that helps you clearly understand what it means to be a child of God.

As we dug deep in the Bible, my friend Sarah said something that was so simple, and yet so profound:
It's not what you do that makes you His, but what He has already done.

I wrote that in my Bible.

I need to remember that because as much as I love God, and as much as I understand and grasp the simplicity of the gospel, sometimes I forget that God loves me just for me -- not for my ministry or my efforts or even my passion for my faith.

When I grasp that truth, it sloughs off all the things that complicate faith. I follow Christ because I'm his girl. Following him takes me to high places, and sometimes into places of absolute trust and obedience, and sometimes through open doors I'd never attempt on my own.

It's not always easy following him to those places, but it's a great deal easier than trying to figure it out by creating my "how to earn God's favor today" list.

Thanks to my friend Sarah for hitting it on the head.

Thank you to my Father for loving his girl,

Suzie

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for this post. Anyone in a relationship with Christ needs to know this - not just as 'head' knowledge, but as 'heart' knowledge. Isn't it so comforting to know that we are His, no matter how badly we mess up?