Saturday, May 13, 2006

Mom's The Word!

So, in case you haven't heard, tomorrow is Mother's Day. I've always had mixed feelings about Mother's Day. You see, I'm not close with my mom. We get along, can hold a conversation and talk regularly on the phone. But we're not close, and I wish things were different. Our relationship - apart from God working a miracle - isn't likely to change much, though.

Mother's Day always makes me feel just a little lonely. I have kids of my own, and they adore me. The cards they have already given me made my heart so glad. Yet, I will only have one mother, and knowing I can do nothing to change the relationship can be tough sometimes - especially on Mother's Day. I try to bless her, seek to honor her and always invite her to be a part of our lives. Yet I have to do it with no expectation for what I might get in return - I have to love her and honor her just because I am supposed to. If I don't, then I could fall in the trap of expecting something to change - hoping she'll turn around one day and offer me a word of encouragement.

I have to love her just the way she is.

Jesus does that with us. I am definitely aware that I'm not worthy to be called His friend, yet He chooses me anyway. He loves us even when we don't love Him back. He's always with us, even when we don't give him the time of day. It kinda puts my situation in perspective. If God can do that for us, then He can help us do that for others.

Some of you probably have great relationships with your moms. Some of you probably don't. But I encourage you to do something to bless your mom tomorrow because when we bless someone else, we are also blessing God.

And that's always worth doing:-)

2 comments:

Brenda said...

Hi, I did a search and found this site, and I can totally relate to you. I grieve for not having the kind of relationship my friends have with their moms. But this Mother's Day I am learning more and more that she did the best she could with what she had!!! I wish she was a "mom", but she isn't, so I have to respect her for doing the best she could. thanks for sharing that it's encouraging.

Dionna said...

I am so sorry you feel a little lonely on mother's day. I pray that someday that feeling will change for you.