Friday, May 12, 2006

Can I Be Feminine, Sexy, AND Biblical?

When I was in high school, I was secretly in love with THE GUY for two years. I hid it well, pouring out my unrequited love for him into (bad) poetry and my journals. Then the miracle happened: THE GUY asked me to come with his church youth group on their trip to an amusement park. On the way home, he told me how much he liked me -- liked me liked me, I mean. (Never mind that I was a Hindu and he was a PK ... that's another story.) I'll never forget the overwhelming delight of being desired by the guy of my dreams. Talk about a natural high!

Girls are wired to want to be desirable, and God understands that. When Adam saw Eve for the first time, he uttered an exclamation of amazement that basically translates into "WOW!" That's what we girls love to hear, right? So what to do when we want to attract a guy? Do we dress and gyrate for him a la Mariah Carey or the Pussycat Dolls? No way. There's actually a better way to express our feminine sexuality, a God-designed way that works much better than public "convulsions," as my sons describe the way girls dance on MTV.

Check out this new bible study for girls and sexuality called "A Discussion Guide on the Body and Soul of a Young Woman:"
"Feminine Sexuality" aims to initiate conversation about the struggle to live as sexual human beings and also remain faithful to the truth of Scripture by addressing such topics as intimacy, desire, fear of rejection, longing, beauty and others. The first three sections (are) Redefining Sexuality; Beauty, Ideals, and Idols; and Physical Intimacy. The fourth section, Redemption, attempts to address each of the previous three sections and place them firmly in the context of the biblical narrative. Ultimately, the hope is that girls would leave these discussions knowing that God’s story is big enough to address their questions and experiences as young women, in body and soul.
These days, I still want to be appreciated, but not by THE GUY. He's long gone. But I do like to hear that "WOW!" from my husband every now and then, and always from my God, who sees me as a beautiful daughter, clothed in the sparkling loveliness of the Spirit.

No comments: