Saturday, March 24, 2007

Is it spring yet?

I am so bored.

It always happens this time of year-- spring's not really here yet and I just want winter gone. I have seedlings started in my little greenhouse and a million projects both inside and out just waiting for warmer weather to start.

But, in the meantime, I'm bored.

God's timing is something, isn't it?

I've been really focusing on just HOW bored I've been lately in anticipation of spring, and I find my studies take me to 2 Samuel. We all know David-- he's the man God called "a man after His own heart." If there was a superhero in the Bible other than Jesus, His ancestor David would be the one. He wrote a lot of the Psalms. He slayed Goliath. If you've grown up in the church, you KNOW David.

David got bored once, too.

And he found himself in a lot of trouble because of it.

For David it was simple, he was right with God. He was king. He was the conquering warrior and hero, loved by all. He didn't just defeat his enemies-- he destroyed 'em. Life was good.

Just like many of us, when life got good for David, he got lazy. Instead of leading his troops into battle like he was supposed to do, he stayed home. His pillow just felt too good that morning or something, I guess. I bet we can all understand the place he got to. His friends were all at the war. He had no responsibilities, nothing he had to do, and just not motivated to do the things he probably should have been doing.

So, he starts wandering around his big, old house a lot like we probably surf around the internet or scrounge through the cupboards when we're in that state, but instead of a bag of Doritos or strings of mindless Strong Bad videos, he caught sight of the wife of one of his soldiers. It was bad enough that he spied on her. He knew who she was, who her husband was. But David was really bored, and her husband was a long ways away, and David's thoughts were so wrapped up in his desires and boredom that he wasn't listening to God. He just wanted to cure that boredom, so he sent for her to be brought to the palace. Women didn't have many rights in this culture and David was king. There was no saying no for her.

His actions with Bathsheba start a downward spiral for the great David.

All because he was bored.

He never would have been bored if he would have been doing what he was supposed to be doing-- be the king, the leader of his people.

Life is good right now, and I'm getting lazy-- as lazy as a mom of six kids can get. I'm getting lazy in my time with Him, in my studies, in my fellowship. I'm going to try to do better than David at listening to his warning about being bored. How about you?

No comments: