Sunday, June 03, 2007

my fake fan


I get sunburned easily. See my red hair? Growing up, we were the redheaded family at the pool with the mom chasing us around putting on more zinc oxide. (That's thick white sunscreen that doesn't come off without a washcloth.)
My husband tans. So do my three children. None of THEM are redheaded.
This year I went for my very first spray-on tan. It looked pretty good! Didn't look orange at all. I wasn't supposed to take a shower for eight hours. I waited twenty-four hours--just to be on the safe side.
I watched my new tan wash right off in the shower and then I had to bleach the tub.
So I tried a new kind of fake tan lotion. My daughters both said, "Are you using that fake tan stuff? You look orange."
I'm thinking there's a message for me in Proverbs 139:14. "I am fearfully and wonderfully made."
That means God made me with this sensitive white skin and redheaded. I decided to tell Him thank you and stop trying to be what I'm not.
Anybody relate?
♥Julie

3 comments:

Jenny B. Jones said...

People who tan easily (or who have even the slightest bit of pigment in their skin) SO do not understand our pain. Those of you who don't fall under the category of "white and pasty," count yourselves so lucky!
But still wear sunscreen...
; )

Sarah Anne Sumpolec said...

Another white and pasty person chiming in here. I don't tan. I burn, go white again, then burn again. Even with sunscreen.

But I have good news. My grandmother is ninety years old and looks twenty-five years younger. Why? Cause her skin is soft and gorgeous from years of never tanning.

So "no tanning" keeps you young I tell you! White and pasty keeps you looking young!

Julie Garmon said...

Thanks, you two. I've had skin cancer so....I'm learning to love my whiteness.

Julie