Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Who Are You?

Do you know who you are? I mean do you really? I thought I knew exactly who I was when I went to the post office to mail a series of packages today, but when it came time to pay the women behind the counter would not let me use my own credit card to pay. About a year ago my credit card number was stolen, so now I don't sign the back of my credit cards--I simply write "Please ask to see I.D." on the back.

So even though I could produce photo identification, and several other cards bearing my name the post office wouldn't allow me to use my credit card to pay for my packages because they said my card was not valid since it was not signed. It was insanely ridiculous. They treated me like a thief for using my own credit card because I had taken precautions that would prevent a real thief from using it!

As a stood in the post office trying to prove my identity, and my right to use my card, I couldn't help but think of the messages the world sends us as Christians. Sometimes these messages even come from other Christians.

"You're not as special as you think you are," they sneer at us when we claim we are daughters of the King of Kings. "You don't act any differently than me, so why are you going to heaven if I'm not?" Their questions jab at us over and over again. "A real Christian wouldn't behave like that," they claim when we have a bad day. The list goes on and on.

So, do you know who you are? Even though I couldn't use my credit card I didn't walk out of the post office doubting who I was. I know I am Shannon Primicerio no matter what anyone says. But are you as confident in your place in God's family?

Galatians 3:26 says, "For you are all children of God through faith in Christ Jesus."

You are a daughter of the King of Kings and Lord of Lords. Live like it--no matter who tells you otherwise!

No comments: