Sunday, June 29, 2008

Nothing Special



Our family went on a mission trip this past week to Kentucky. I served in a homeless shelter. Actually, I felt so at home in the homeless shelter.

The first day, I cried through our praise songs. I couldn't believe God's sweet Spirit showed up in a dingy bleak room. His love was so heavy I coudn't open my mouth.

I still cry when I think about this lady I met. She'd just left her abusive husband for the third time. She says this time she's going to stay away and get help. We prayed and talked. I asked her what she liked to do--if she had any hobbies. She said she loved to crochet.

I didn't think it was anything special. No big deal. I ran to Wal-Mart before we left and got her red yarn (God's love) and a crochet needle. I spent about $6.You'd have thought I'd given her a million dollars. She's making a blanket for the winter. I said, "As you crochet, pray. Keep your mind on God's love for you." She nodded and promised she would. Her name is Christy. Maybe you'll say a prayer for her.

I didn't realize that when you show His love even in the SIMPLEST ways, He totally fills you.

Changed,
Julie

1 comment:

Deb said...

That is a beautiful story, Julie. Thank you for sharing it.

-Deb