Wednesday, September 03, 2008

not our plans



This is my son Thomas. He was recruited to play football this year--his first year to play. He's a BASEBALL player. To be honest, I wasn't thrilled about him playing. I blogged about it several weeks ago. I don't really get football. It doesn't look like fun to me--knocking each other down, playing in the rain and cold, and getting beaten up.

I got a call from the coach during practice August 6th. "Mrs. Garmon. Thomas has broken his leg. It's bad. We're taking him by ambulance to the hospital."

I drove to the school praying, "Help him, Jesus." I got there before they left. The ambulance driver and coaches told me to stay calm. They said they didn't want Thomas upset. So I prayed, "Help me, Jesus."

It was Thomas's 17th birthday. So, I walked up to him on the stretcher, blinked back tears and said, "Happy Birthday."

"Thanks, Mom. Don't look at it. Tell Dad I'm fine."

Talk about ripping out your heart. I rode in the ambulance with him. He'll be in a long cast for six weeks, then one to his knee for four weeks, and then a boot for four weeks. Out for the season.

I'm posting this to say sometimes we don't understand. Sometimes we just say, "Help us, Jesus. Thank you. We love you, God."

Thoughts on when things don't go as we'd planned?

Love,
Julie

www.juliegarmon.com

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I first wan to say a huge thank-you to the wonderful writers of this blog for your amazing spiritual food and example. I praise God that even when life doesn't go according to our plan, we can trust Him because it's going according to His and His is superior. The hard part is giving up our own desires and being patient for what we want. Best of luck to Thomas!

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Steph. That's what I'm learning (over and over it seems).

Thanks for reading and commenting.

Love,
Julie