Thursday, November 27, 2008

Turkey ... yuk!

Camy here, probably the only person on the entire planet who hates turkey.

I don’t hate Thanksgiving, but let’s just say I’m not salivating over the gigantic roast Butterball on the table.

I’m not sure why I don’t like turkey. It just has a strange taste that’s different from chicken or duck. (On a side note, I’d like to try roast goose at some point, just to try it.)

But I endure the icky smell of gobble-gobble ready to be gobbled because I love Thanksgiving dinner.

In Hawaii, we always had a family gathering (my mother’s side of the family, usually) with TONS of food. And really good food, too.

Grandma sometimes made sushi for us (I tell you, Grandma has a way with sushi that is fabulous! Whenever I try to make it, I have too much vinegar or sugar or something.)

My mom makes Chinese chicken salad. Aunty Jan brings sashimi (don’t say eeew until you’ve grown up eating it every year of your life).

The turkey ... eh. Some years we didn’t have turkey, we had something else, and that was terrific.

The best part was sitting around talking with everyone about anything. My mom’s family laughs a lot and they love to tell stories (that’s where I get my itch to write novels). It’s always fun, warm, a little loud, and comfortable. I am very thankful for my loving family.

This year, I can’t make it to Hawaii so it’s me and Captain Caffeine. It’ll still be nice—just the two of us, being thankful for the gifts God has given to us like each other, our home, our dog, our church family here in California.

But no turkey. :)

What are you thankful for today?

Camy Tang writes romance with a kick of wasabi. Her novel Single Sashimi is out now, and she runs the Story Sensei critique service. In her spare time, she is a staff worker for her church youth group, and she leads one of the worship teams for Sunday service. On her blog, she gives away Christian novels every Monday and Thursday, and she ponders frivolous things. Sign up for her newsletter YahooGroup for monthly giveways!

2 comments:

Camy Tang said...

What are you thankful for?
Camy

Anonymous said...

For you, this article, my family, Jesus, my cat, hermit crabs, friends, for the fact that I've been kept safe and that Mom is healed of cancer. Lots of little things. Merry Christmas 2 you!