Tuesday, June 02, 2009

The Size of a Mountain

My assistant and I came to the beautiful Blue Ridge mountains of North Carolina. We're here to attend the Gideon Christian Film Festival and Conference. I like these events. I get to meet wonderful people, renew acquaintances with people I only run into at conferences, and catch-up with old friends. We arrived a day early to do some sight-seeing and make some local contacts for marketing my books. We did a historical tour on a bus, gathering material for a new novel. This isn't unusual. I can't seem to take off my writer's hat, and truly, I don't mind. When I see the rich green and crowded trees in the forest next to the road, I imagine kimens and all sorts of woodland creatures, going through the underbrush. I see an old house and my mind conjures up characters to live in that house. I love it. 
But back to the mountains. They have a peak here that is the highest east of the Mississippi. The tour guide rattled off the elevation and Rachael and I laughed. Their tallest mountain was the elevation at which we live with towering mountains reaching 14,000 feet beyond our relatively flat city. 
It's a matter of perspective. Ever heard of people making a mountain out of a molehill?  God tells us not to sweat the small things. What? You've never heard of that verse? There are quite a few of them in Proverbs. But the one that pops up in my mind is 2 Timothy 2:23
"Don't have anything to do with foolish and stupid arguments, because you know they produce quarrels." 
So don't make mountains out of molehills, don't burst other people's balloons just for the fun of it, (our mountains are REAL mountains), and don't get caught in a bramble over something that doesn't really matter, like who told the story that made everyone laugh four years ago at the annual anti-climax reunion in post mortar park. Or was that five years ago?

2 comments:

Debra said...

I loved this! :)

Debbie

Julie Garmon said...

Beautiful, Donita.