Friday, August 28, 2009

Etsy Love

Confession time: One of the things I really enjoy doing is walking through arts and craft fairs. While there is a fair amount of stuff that I walk right by, there always seems to be some amazing finds. Like the guy who had a booth of wrought iron 3-D sculptures in the shape of coffee cups! Or the guy whose booth was full of these layered collages that I fell in love with. Or the "soup booth", where you could take home these mixes and boil up delicious soups.

I love to look for gifts at these places because unusual, hand made items always seem better to me than random gift certificates. Or teacher magnets (because having been a teacher for several years, magnets and coffee cups are the mainstay for gifts). I love finding the booth that makes me think, "Ohhh, so and so would love these!"

But there are a couple of problems with craft fairs.

1) They tend to be very crowded. I'm not big on crowds and I tend to want to hurry through rather than really enjoy the experience just to get out of there.

2) They tend to take a whole day rather than a just a few hours.

3) They only happen at certain times of the year, and not always at opportune times.

So imagine my delight when I discovered Etsy! It's an online arts and crafts fair with just about every type of thing you can imagine. To be honest, I try not to go there too often because I kind of get lost in the browsing, but oh, so many neat things to look at!

So why am I bringing this up here? Because maybe you're like me and just love this type of thing. But even if you're not, I bet you have to buy gifts for people on a regular basis, and this just might help you find that perfect item for someone.

And tell us what you discover there! Happy hunting!

Sarah

Sarah Anne Sumpolec


No comments: