Thursday, September 03, 2009

Writers are a Different Breed



I'm an inspirational articles writer working hard at learning to write fiction. It's sort of like learning to write with my left hand--completely different than what I'm used to. I'm meeting my face-to-face critique group today. Some of us share my writing background and some have a strong fiction-writing past.

My husband asked me if my fiction-writing friends are real people. :-)

When we get together, you never know what to expect. There's always plenty of coffee and energy and talking. Maybe because we're always thinking STORY, our minds and ideas rarely stop.

If you're a non-writer hanging out with a writer, just because she's quiet doesn't mean she's sad. Or upset. She's probably thinking out a plot line. Or how to organize her next article. Maybe she's studying you!

I've discovered the following is true of fiction writers (at least my friends):

To us, our characters are real people.
We love to what-if with these characters and each other.
We have to be careful. We watch people. We mustn't get caught staring.
We allow each other to play out loud with our thoughts.
Being together helps us think up more good ideas.
Creativity spurs creativity.
We can spend a long time thinking up just the right word.

Love to each of you.
If you're a writer, keep at it!

"Now unto him that is able to do exceedingly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that works in us." Eph. 3:20

Julie

No comments: