Sunday, May 09, 2010

Loving Well


Right now you can listen to MercyMe’s newly released album, The Generous Mr. Lovewell, in full length album stream on Tangle. Though I don’t claim to be a devoted MercyMe fan, I really liked the lyrics for many of the songs and the album’s theme, loving others well.

One song is called Beautiful, and part way through the album you hear:

You are treasured
You are sacred
You are His
You’re beautiful

As I listened, I felt prompted to ask who in my life needs to hear those words. I thought of the relationships I have and who God has brought into my life to love me, but also for me to love.

To love well.

My family, my husband, my children—definitely. But also others. Children and teens God brings across my path. Elderly friends. Lonely friends. Strangers.

Do those around me know they are treasured?

For those who seem convinced they are worthless, do I show them Christ who makes us new, who makes us beautiful?

Do I love well?

I want to be more aware of that this week, which means more aware of each person. I want to look into their eyes with compassion and honesty, and ask that God help me know how I can communicate that they are important to me, and especially to Him.

I want to see where I get in the way--with my busyness, weariness, or self-focus. To see where I can instead ask, Do I love well?

I have a feeling it won't be an easy week as I see where I mess up in this business of loving well, but while trying I can be sure that God will be whispering,

You are treasured
You are Mine
You're beautiful

2 comments:

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

Yes! to love well...to ensure those around me KNOW they are treasured and they are beautiful. Thank you.

Jan Kern said...

And I hope you know that you are too, Lynda! Thanks for stopping by.