Wednesday, June 02, 2010

Achievement




Today I read about two young stars I admire, Dakota Fanning and Emma Watson. I'm praying these two girls continue to handle stardom and wealth with class. I don't remember ever reading a story where the girls acted in any way but with dignity. Having fun and being goofy does not mar your image whereas boozing and "slut-fashion" does.


Both actresses have paid attention to their education as well. Emma made straight A's her senior year and is going to a well known college in Rhode Island. They're holding it together and I wonder what kind of spiritual help they are getting. Do they have mentors who emphasize lasting values?


I don't really envy their celebrity status as they took on the challenge of high school. Do you know what I think of when I see their fresh and happy faces? Their skin! For me and my best friend, acne was the additional stress factor that nearly did us in.


Clear skin may be beyond our control in these hectic days of proms and finals and heavy textbooks, but dignity is not. Dignity is something you choose. There are three things that put pock marks all over your image as a person who respects yourself and those around you:




  1. Inappropriate clothing


  2. Inappropriate actions


  3. Inappropriate words


Which order would you put them in? I put them in the order that another person might perceive. A stranger (the papparazzi?) would see what you're wearing, what you're doing, and then get close enough to hear what you are saying.



But I don't think this is the order of importance. Which order would you put them in on that criteria?



Lots of thoughts are swirling around in my brain. I'm thinking of the visual thesaurus and what words I would see if I put respect into the search box. Ever tried that? Here's the link: Visual Thesaurus

No comments: