Sunday, September 19, 2010

Rest

Face it, some of us must be forced to rest. Can anyone relate? I am one of those who feel guilty if I’m not doing something productive, unless it’s a Sunday afternoon or I’m winding down after a busy day. If I don’t have a deadline, I’ll create one. I am quick to admit that God often needs to knock me on my you-know-what and force me to slow down. Last week He used a horribly stiff and sore neck to pull me away from my laptop. I figured all I needed was a prescription strength pain reliever and I’d be good to go again, until I started feeling the effects of “may cause drowsiness.” I basically spent most of yesterday drifting in and out of naps. Strangely, I didn’t feel guilty. I understood what was going on. I’d pushed myself to the limit and needed more than half a day off to recover. Why must I learn this over and over again though? Why do I fight my body’s need for rest as if it’s a sign of weakness?

God clearly created us to need rest. The amount of sleep that our bodies need per night should be enough of a reminder.

God set an example by resting on the seventh day.

Jesus often took His disciples away from the crowds so they could rest.
So why do I fight it?

Whatever the reason, I’m thankful for this most recent forced time out. It reminded me to pace myself on a regular basis instead of constantly pushing my own limits, to follow my creator’s example, to listen to the body that He designed.

When is the last time that God forced you to rest? What did it teach you? How do you find time for rest during the week? (For example, I like to read on weekend afternoons or watch movies with my sons.) Thank God for caring enough even to create a day set aside for refreshing our overworked minds and bodies.

No comments: