Sunday, August 14, 2011

A word for the school year

Camy here! Most of you are probably getting excited about going back to school, since you’ll see all your friends and get back into your sports and clubs.

But as you’re preparing to reenter the world of homework, team practices, and club meetings, also consider how God can use you this coming school year.

Every year in January I have a word for the year that I pick to help guide me spiritually in the coming year. One year, I had the word “fear” which isn’t as weird and scary as it sounds. I spent the year learning what it was to “fear” God, and learning how to respect Him and revere Him. It was a fantastic year because everytime I saw the word “fear” in my Bible reading, I would focus on the verse and learn something else about fearing God.

How about you pick a word to guide you spiritually for the school year?

Take a few minutes to pray and ask God to show you a word He would want you to keep in mind during the year. Read a bit from your Bible if you feel led to do so. Then pick your word.



You can write the word on your text book covers, or make a pretty bookmark with the word on it for your Bible. Or think of other creative ways to keep the word at the forefront of your mind and remind yourself throughout the school year to focus on what God wants to teach you through that word.

One of my friends had the word “prepare.” Throughout the year, she focused on preparing herself spiritually for changes in her life, and they eventually came--her husband started his own company, and she had some challenges with her daughter.

You obviously probably don’t have a husband and daughter, but you can see how a word for your school year can help you grow in your relationship with God.

So take some time to pick a word, and then let me know what you come up with! And tell me how I can pray for you!

Camy Tang writes romance with a kick of wasabi. Out now is the fourth book in her Sushi series, Weddings and Wasabi. She is a staff worker for her church youth group, and leads one of the worship teams for Sunday service. On her blog, she ponders frivolous things like knitting, running, dogs, and Asiana. Visit her website to sign up for her quarterly newsletter.

Click here to find out how you can join my Street Team—it’s free and there’s lots of chances to win prizes!

3 comments:

caitlinkertzman101 said...

love your blog
http://caitlinkertzmanj12-astimegoesby.blogspot.com/

comment AND FOLLOW ME ILL FOLLOW YOU

Anonymous said...

wow Camy. Thanks for sharing that. I have been reading through the Pslams, and I have seen how often David mentions "fear[ing] God". I was thinking about studying it, and your blog post served as an impetus. God bless you. Thanks again reminding us to keep God as our main focus this school year.

Nicole @Project Inspired said...

Love this idea! It's so beautiful. And a great way to realize your priorities and dreams!