Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Happy Valentine’s Day--or not

Camy here! As I’m writing this, it’s about 1 am on Valentine’s Day, and this post will go live at 5 am here in California, so Valentine’s Day hasn’t really started yet. But by the time you read this, it’ll probably be in full swing or have been over by now.

How’s your Valentine’s Day going? Good or bad? Most of my Valentine’s Days when I was in my teens and twenties totally sucked. It wasn’t just not having a boyfriend, it was feeling like nobody cared about me.

I now know that wasn’t true. There were lots of people who cared about me, but I had closed myself off from people because I thought they wouldn’t want to be close to me.

But I also think that time in my life was because Jesus wanted me to be closer to Him. I have the type of personality where I will fill my life with friends who will take the place of God. Instead of depending solely and completely on Him, I will depend on my friends more than I should.

So God will sometimes have to take all my friends away from me for a little while to remind me that I need to depend on Him more, and to re-teach me how to do that. I think that’s what most of my teens and twenties were about.

(Or it could be that at the time, I wasn’t really a nice enough person that a boy would want to date me. Luckily God worked in me to make me a better person.)

Hmm, that’s not a very uplifting Valentine’s Day post. Then again, I’ve never enjoyed V-Day even when I got married, maybe because I remember how hard those days were when I was younger.

I guess if you’re at the same point I was, don’t lose hope. Cling to Jesus because He’s all you’ll need, and it really will get better. Sometimes it means God needs to work on you more, but other times it just means you need to be patient and trust that Jesus knows what He’s doing.

Love and peace,
Camy

Camy Tang writes romance with a kick of wasabi. Out now is the first book in her new series, Protection for Hire, which is like Stephanie Plum meets The Joy Luck Club. She is a staff worker for her church youth group, and leads one of the worship teams for Sunday service. On her blog, she ponders frivolous things like knitting, running, dogs, and Asiana. Visit her website to sign up for her quarterly newsletter.

Click here to find out how you can join my Street Team—it’s free and there’s lots of chances to win prizes!

3 comments:

Christina said...

Isn't it funny how God uses other people in strange ways to draw us back to where He wants us to be?

I remember those days...

Thanks for sharing with us!

Trinka said...

Vslentines day for me is pretty normal...I get up I do school... {though, today my my let us sleep in 40 extra minutes and made some chocolate chip baked oatmeal...with a heart design on the top in chocolate chips} :) Soo, yeah. Usually, my dad gets my mom and our own bouquet of flowers (though mine is usually only one, my mom's is 12 ;)
And thanks for this, it Was really encouraging! <3

Camy Tang said...

Christina--definitely! In my case, God used the absence of friends in my life to draw me closer to Himself.

Trinka--how sweet of your parents! And I'm glad the post was encouraging to you!