Sunday, October 14, 2012

Social Media

Camy here! I was at Yogurtland with the high school kids from my church youth group because only two of them came, so instead of having lesson, we went for frozen yogurt. :)

We were talking about social media--well, specifically Facebook and Instagram. It was neat getting their perspective on it and understanding how they used it as opposed to how I and my husband use it.

I use Facebook a lot for connecting with people who read my books, and also for playing Zuma Blitz. :) (I love Zuma Blitz!)

I haven’t used it for connecting with my youth group, mostly because I accept pretty much any friend request, and I don’t know a lot of those people personally, and I don’t want any of them to be able to be find the profiles of any of the youth I know.

The high school kids, on the other hand, use social media as “social” media. They connect with friends and utilize media in a way I don’t often think about. Take Instagram. I haven’t used it much, but they were talking about the ways they use Instagram all the time, and it enables them to post pictures on Facebook a lot easier than the clunky Facebook app on their phones.

So how about you? How do you use social media? And if you’re on Facebook, like my author page! Pretty please? :)

Camy Tang writes romance with a kick of wasabi. Out now is the first book in her new series, Protection for Hire, which is like Stephanie Plum meets The Joy Luck Club. She is a staff worker for her church youth group, and leads one of the worship teams for Sunday service. On her blog, she ponders frivolous things like knitting, running, dogs, and Asiana. Visit her website to sign up for her quarterly newsletter.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm not allowed to be on Facebook, twitter, or any of those other things I don't even know about! It's probable for the best anyway!

J

Anonymous said...

I think social media is a blessing and a curse. It distracts from the real meaning of life but it it is a useful tool and makes you feel part of a community.